Sunday, January 12, 2014

Book Carving - We're All Stories in the End


I had a tough time trying to figure out what I was going to carve because I wanted to try to make my project stand out a bit.  I thought of a few good ideas but my favorite was the Tardis from one of my favorite shows, Doctor Who.  The Tardis was a similar shape to the book and I thought it would be a fun thing to create, so I got to work on designing it.  We were told to be really careful about what we cut out for each layer and don't leave any "islands" that would fall out which made me really nervous.  I had to make sure I wasn't cutting the wrong part out and stopped myself a few times before I cut a new layer out after my border so I wouldn't ruin the whole piece.  It was especially difficult for me to cut the smaller windows on the top because if I slipped, I would cut them into one big window and not be able to fix them.  I cut one or two pages doing that and had to hide some tape on the back of those layers so they would stay together.  The last thing I had to do to finish it was figure out how to get a little light to fit in the book but I came up with the idea of carving farther back into the book and fitting a doll light in there so it would be like the light in the show.  It was very tedious work and I wanted it to look like a mini replica of the real Tardis so I had to pay attention to detail and luckily for me, it worked out and I was able to mix the right blues together.  I took a risk with painting almost all of the book blue, but if I did it any other way, I highly doubt it would look just as nice.  I felt the book was a massive success and I was really excited when I found a quote from the show I could put on the cover that related really well to the theme of the project.  I wouldn't change a thing about my project and it's one of my favorite we've done this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment